Monday, 31 March 2014

Make Your Mama Proud

 Part 2 
Lets  move on to my morning sketches and how my internet provider and a really old sketchbook made me do what I did. Ironically what ended my oil painting craze was that I forgot about my rules and started using the internet as usual but this would also prove useful in an unexpected matter.

I wanted to add a picture of my great grandfathers sketchbook but I left that in Sweden. PLACEHOLDER! 


Here is the recipe for my morning sketches!

 Style: 
1. Have a lot of trouble with your internet supplier.
2. Get Really frustrated until the brink of insanity.
3. Add 1L of black soul water.
4. Call customer support one last time.
5. Wait for 45 minuts.
6. Talk to somebody who don't know anything about your problem and then get forwarded to the experts.
7. Wait for another 45 minuts and then get cut off at 9am as it is closing time.
8. Add sketchbook.
9. Pour all this frustration into a giraff sketch.
-Voila! You got yourself a Drawing style.

 Motivation: 
1. Find your great grandfathers old sketchbook which is a little more then 100 years old.
2. Realizing that he did not draw as much crap on his pages as you do.
3. Think about if people would enjoy looking trough your own sketchbooks a 100 years from now.
-Motivated to make every page count.

-So what I did was that I found a nice sketchbook with good paper and a really nice ballpoint pen, (Materials are important). Then I started waking up very early every morning so that my brain would be washed clean from impressions and nobody would disturb me.
Creating something early in the morning sets the mode for the rest of the day and I usually stay happy and creative for the rest of the day.

-Next week will be about my work process and keeping motivation up. That will be my last recap and then I´ll start talking about my life here in Japan.

2 comments:

  1. I had the same experience with my ISP last Friday but I didn’t get anything out of it that looked as good as your sketches. :(

    I agree that materials are important, so I’m wondering what ballpoint pens you use. In your first post, I can make out the Staedtler pigment liners (my own favorites) and Faber-Castell PITT pens (I have those, too, but don’t like them as much). Are the Hi-Tec-C pens ballpoints? I’ve never really tried ballpoints for sketches, but would give those a try if you recommend them.

    In coming posts, would you talk about developing your style? I especially like the angularity of your critters and the way you do shading.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Hi-Tec-C ball point pens are really cheap but I love them. It however have to be size 0,4 because they roll the best and give the most even ink flow.
      Yes I will talk about developing my style soon, Maybe next week. It´s something I struggle with every day and it also feels like I am very far from where I want to be atm so yes, I will talk about that for sure.

      Delete